Dave Holmes [Twitter] is an actor and TV host who you've seen on MTV, FX, Court TV, Comedy Central, Bravo, VH1... and plenty more. In 1998 he first rose to national prominence with his runner-up finish on MTV's first reality competition show, Wanna Be a VJ? Dave is also an out-of-the-closet gay man. Today I chat with Dave about that journey and how it's impacted his 42 years of life.
In this class we talk about:
- Coming to terms with the sexual part of being gay as well as the cultural part
- Learning to love yourself as "an unconventional male"
- Leaning on friends for support
- Eventually getting honest with everyone
- Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" project
- Gaining weight to hide and keep safe
- Losing 50 pounds and being in the best shape of his life at 42.
- Coming out to your parents
- Using alcohol and cigarettes to numb feelings
- Being out of the closet and on MTV
- His youth at an all boys catholic school
- Being gay in the sports-centric Mid-West
- College at Holy Cross as the only out gay man
- Carson Daly is NOT gay
- Gay publications' initial disinterest in Dave
- Finally appearing in Out magazine
- Using therapy to gain comfort in your own skin
- Difficulties of being gay in Hollywood
- Telling off some Hollywood producers
Support our sponsor -- 10% off of your great new website with Squarespace! Promo Code: MANSCHOOL10
Man School is a proud part of the Sideshow Network.