Welcome to Man School's third class! On this episode I chat with Paul Gilmartin about his clinical depression. Paul is a comedian, television personality, and host of the wonderful podcast, The Mental Illness Happy Hour. I've found that if you're someone who wants to be a better man the first thing you can do is the easiest: just listen to another man's experience. Paul makes doing that easy.
In this class we talk about:
- How the buzz of alcohol and drugs made life feel great.
- Having an understanding and support wife.
- Getting clean and sober from drugs and alcohol.
- Drunk driving at high speeds -- having a death wish.
- Dealing with suicidal thoughts.
- Having money and fame... and how that DIDN"T help.
- Dealing with anger and loneliness.
- Seeing psychiatrists and therapists.
- Low-fee therapy.
- Using alcohol to access emotions.
- Being depressed when sober.
- Not wanting to take your psych meds.
- Warning signs of depression.
- Paul recommends http://helpguide.org/ to find out more information on getting help for mental health issues.
Man School is a proud part of the Sideshow Network.